Do you know the incredible feeling of crossing something off of your to-do list? I sure do. But, I also know that before you can start crossing things off, there’s often the task of figuring out who you should contact for assistance. There are a lot of things that we can help our residents with – half the battle is just figuring out what those things are. Let’s take a look at a few common services you as a Mecklenburg County resident may need (and who you can turn to for help with them).

Property Taxes

If you’re a homeowner, a big item on your to-do list is understanding and paying your property taxes. The County’s Assessor’s Office is responsible for assessing residential and commercial property taxes for all of Mecklenburg County, and the Tax Collection Office is responsible for collection, of course. When you need to view information about your property, see your tax bill, and even pay your taxes, visit the Assessor’s Office’s website. The Office of the Tax Collector’s website has a lot of valuable information as well, including information about tax rates, tax forms and more.

Side note: we are getting ready for the 2019 Tax Revaluation. Because our community is growing, you will want to know how your home values may be affected. has a ton of information that explains this process and what it means for you.


Recycling is a responsibility of both the municipalities and Mecklenburg County Government. Your city or town is responsible for collecting your recycling, garbage, yard waste and bulky items, and transports it all to landfills and recycling centers maintained by Mecklenburg County. We, the County, then dispose of, or recycle, those items in the most environmentally responsible way.

As a Mecklenburg County resident, you also have access to our full service recycling centers! If you have questions about what can and cannot be recycled, we have some tips for you here. You can also use the Waste Wizard tool and search a specific item to learn how to recycle or dispose of it.


What goes hand in hand with recycling? Your trash, of course! Trash collection and disposal is another one of those shared services between the municipalities and Mecklenburg County. Mecklenburg County does NOT collect the curbside materials. Instead, the County processes the material at the Metrolina Recycling Facility.

The collection at your home is the responsibility of the municipality in which you live. Discarding your trash can be as easy as understanding the trash pick up schedules and knowing what to do with items that are too large to be placed in a rollout cart. You can request bulky item pickup through the CharMeck 311 service request portal or by calling 311. If you wish to visit a full-service center that accepts both trash and recyclables on your own, be mindful of the acceptance guidelines for materials at each location (see “full-service recycling centers” above).

Streets, Sidewalks and Traffic Signals

When it comes to addressing our community’s physical infrastructure, municipalities handle most maintenance requests. For example, if you see a right-of-way obstruction in the City of Charlotte, you may call CharMeck 311. CharMeck 311 serves as the customer contact center for the City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County (open Monday – Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.) City of Charlotte residents can also submit service requests online 24 hours a day through the service request portal. Examples of service requests include new traffic signs, streetlight and street sign repairs, traffic calming devices for the neighborhood and sidewalk installation and repair, among other public right of way requests. Once you submit your request, you will receive a tracking number to track the status.

If you’re located in one of our other municipalities, you can still call 311 for County services. If you have questions about an infrastructure issue or other town-provided service, your town hall is the best place to start. They can direct you to the right place or follow up on any complaint that requires it.

It can be easy to get discouraged when one phone call won’t get the job done, but each of our government agencies offers its own unique set of services. Sometimes the biggest challenge is finding out who’s responsible but remember we’re here to help. You can always reach out to us on social media with questions – even if we’re not the service provider we can usually point you in the direction of someone who can assist.

Contact Information

Have an inquiry about your local government services?

Mecklenburg County
Visit or call 311

City of Charlotte
Visit or call 311

Town of Cornelius
Visit or call 704-892-6031

Town of Davidson
Visit or call 704-892-7591

Town of Huntersville
Visit or call 704-875-6541

Town of Matthews
Visit or call 704-847-4411

Town of Pineville
Visit or call 704-889-2291